LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Want to go to AFROTC

Last post 10-18-2007, 8:43 PM by raimius. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-05-2007, 9:45 PM 4672

Want to go to AFROTC

Hello everyone, Im new to this forum and i had a few questions that i hope you guys would be able, or willing to answer for me. I am a senior in high school, and i will admitt my overall GPA when i graduate, will be very low somewhere around 2.0 to 2.7. I have taken honors classes since 10th grade and some AP now in my 12th grade, but in 11th grade i burned out and just got overwhelmed, and so resulting in the low GPA. I have been wanting to be an air force pilot since i was 10 years old, and saw the inside of an F/A-18. I know the F/A-18 is a marine/navy jet, but I'm really striving to become an F-16 or F-22 pilot. The reasoning there is that in the air force i would have a much better chance of flying a jet, which when it comes down to it, is what i just want to do. My brother is a mechanic for the F/A-18 and tells me my best bet would be to go to the AFROTC. The problem is i have to go to community college first, and then i would have to transfer to USC or UCLA to be able to get into the program. I'm thinking of majoring in physics or in Aerospace Engineering, but i want to know what would help my chances better. My physical condition is good, but im still trying to improve it, i work out every other day with dumbells, and I do cardio stuff, but with hw and all thats all I am able to do right now. I eat very healthy and when i took a physical 2 months ago i was in tip top shape, so i dont think that would be a problem. My vision isnt 20/20, but it is too my understaniding that i can get a waiver for that. So it would be great if someone could answer some of my questions, and the final one that everyone always asks, Can I still become an Air Force Pilot?
  •  09-08-2007, 10:37 PM 4676 in reply to 4672

Re: Want to go to AFROTC

Yes, you still can get in (barring any unmentioned medical problems or severe criminal history).  Remember to do well at CC and ask lots of questions, specifically from the AFROTC unit at your future college.
  •  10-10-2007, 2:14 PM 4734 in reply to 4672

what AP classes were you taking? I'm doing mechanical engineering.. and my advice is get alot of the courses like physics 1 and 2, and all your math out of the way.. and you may or may not have to take these courses: but any statics class(statics meaning civil engineering physics on forces not in motion)  and maybe a CS class, Get these done at community colleges... o yeah and check out rateyourprofessor.com .. get good professors!  They will make or break your GPA!...  I had a hell of a ride this semester with poor professors.. They know their stuff but just can't teach. Start off right, don't get lazy.. and see tutors as much as possible. Calc 2 will be very hard. so plan for that and lighten your load.. This is just some advice.. -Jeff  

•  10-11-2007, 7:27 PM 4749 in reply to 4734

Hey guys sorry for the late response, and thanks for all the replies. The only medical problems i currently have are, that i dont have 20/20 vison, plus i have alopecia, but i doubt that really matters. As for criminal history, i just have one misdemeanor for skipping school (bad mayonase incident that went bad). As far as my Ap classes i am currently taking AP eng and Span. I am planning to finish off all of my math classes like you said in cc, i just hadnt confirmed that i was able to do that, thanks you saved me a lot of time. As for being lazy i am far from it, and i am willing to give this my all. I plan to major in either software engineering, or aeronautical engineering. Which one would you reccomend in terms of getting me into the seat of the F-16, or F-15? Thanks for the website as well gave me a lot of insight into the CC i was planning to go to, i might have to rethink my decision.
  •  10-18-2007, 8:43 PM 4782 in reply to 4749

What matters for college is getting your credits/validations to be approved by your end college and keeping a high GPA.  GPA is the biggest factor in AFROTC ranking (which determines who gets to pick their job first).  Since both the degrees you mentioned are engineering degrees, I doubt it would make much of a difference which one you choose.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us